Featured Post

My Life With A Disabilty

Now as I mentioned in my introduction post I have a disability I haven't really spoken about it on social media because I felt like peop...

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

The Continuous Journey to Redefining The Standards Of Beauty


Hi everyone!

So if you've been following this blog you may have read my posts on how the fashion industry has made a major change by incorporating more diverse people in their work such as people with disabilities.

See Previous posts:
 2014: Changing The View On Diversity
New York Fashion Week Open It's Arms To Diversity

Well this movement is becoming even bigger now with the addition of Madeline Stuart of Australia

According to her mother,Madeline or Maddy as her family calls her,a lifestyle change to become active and healthy helped her become more confident and reach her dreams of becoming a model. 

Like most girls, Maddy had struggled with her weight, but thanks to dance, swimming and cheer leading she has lost weight and is more confident with herself.

 Other than raising her confidence Maddy also hopes her new found career will change society's look on down syndrome and look past her disability and see the beautiful person outside and in.
“People need to see how she shines, how her personality just bursts out.” her mother says.

Side Note: That swimsuit is cute! Werk it girl!


Maddy is currently looking for an agent, but I have a feeling she will find one in no time!


 Site


Another trend I am seeing is the advertising of plus size models and as a plus size girl it makes me very happy!

I've always struggled with my weight and seeing ads with skinny models didn't help with my confidence as a teen, but as I grew up I learned to love my body and curves. I know I'll probably never be a size 0 because I love to eat, but sometimes going to the mall and trying to shop can be a bit of downer when everything I like is not in my size. I have boobs, a butt, hips, thighs and might be a bit wider than other girls. And even if a certain store says it's for a plus size women it might only cover a few of the problem areas you have and it's just like "Ugh do these manufactures actually think people are all the same size? Do they not know us curvy girls like to look cute too?" 

But as of recently the media has brought models who aren't a size 0 to light and it 's making me want to embrace my curves more!


 Meet the curvaceous  women who are changing the fashion game...

Nadia Aboulhosn



She has been called the Kim Kardshian of the blogging world and has thousands of followers on her social media accounts who love her edgy street fashion shots.  She has also been featured in Vogue and has her own plus size line called Nadia Plus for the fashion website Boohoo.
 
  "Don't listen to what other people think and say about you because ultimately the way you feel about yourself is what's important"

Instagram | Blog

 Tess Holiday


Tess has had a trailblazing year by becoming the first model of her size to be signed to a major modeling agency and  this past month, she made heads turn by becoming People Magazine's covergirl. Not only is she modeling, she is also founder of the #effyourbeautystandards movement that empowers women to love themselves as they are.    

"There is no such thing as a perfect body and the hardest barrier for women to overcome is themselves,"


 Instagram | Site


Gabi Fresh



Gabi not only is a fashion blogger/ model she also has her own swimsuit company called Swimsuits For All. She also came up with the campaign #everyBODYisflawless by posting a lip dub of Beyonce's hit ***Flawless with fellow plus size bloggers Nadia Aboulhosn and Tess Holiday encouraging women to love their bodies no matter what shape or size they are!

"You don't have to be a certain size to claim your confidence. Fat is not a flaw. This video is dedicated to the mainstream media, to the fashion industry, to internet bullies, and to anyone else who thinks it’s their right to try to make us feel less than because of their insecurities. #everyBODYisflawless"
- See more at: http://gabifresh.com/2014/05/everybodyisflawless/#sthash.H4luiARA.dpuf
you don’t have to be a certain size to claim your flawlessness. Fat is not a flaw. This video is dedicated to the mainstream media, to the fashion industry, to internet bullies, and to anyone else who thinks it’s their right to try to make us feel less than because of their insecurities. #everyBODYisflawless
- See more at: http://gabifresh.com/2014/05/everybodyisflawless/#sthash.H4luiARA.dpuf
you don’t have to be a certain size to claim your flawlessness. Fat is not a flaw. This video is dedicated to the mainstream media, to the fashion industry, to internet bullies, and to anyone else who thinks it’s their right to try to make us feel less than because of their insecurities. #everyBODYisflawless
- See more at: http://gabifresh.com/2014/05/everybodyisflawless/#sthash.H4luiARA.dpuf


Blog | Instagram

Ashley Graham 



Back in February she made headlines by being the first plus size model to be in sports illustrated as a part of the #curvesinbikinis campaign. Ashley's modeling career started at age 12 and is most notably known for modeling lingerie for the plus size clothing company Lane Bryant. She also recently gave a TED talk about her struggle with her body image and learning to embracing her body while working in the fashion industry.


“I felt free once I knew I wasn’t going to fit the narrow mould that society wanted me to fit in. I was never going to be perfect enough in an industry that defines perfection from the outside in and that's okay! Rolls, curves, cellulite, I love every part of me!”


Instagram | Site

Denise  Bidot


 Denise is the newest model to make waves in the media by being a part of the new campaign Beachbody Not Sorry for Gabi Fresh's company Swimsuitsforall  in which the sultry ads shows her in a bathing suit untouched which sadly is very rare in the media. The campaign aims for women to be confident with their "imperfections" and stop apologizing for them.

“I agreed to be part of this campaign because it’s about sharing your story with others and opening up the conversation about beauty,”

Instagram | Site

 I have to say is ladies keep doing what you're doing and keep flaunting it, us curvy girls appreciate!

And in the words of Beyonce herself...


-Lupita

No comments:

Post a Comment